Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA) GATE. A dream come true. .. WINNING 11.. FUTA CLASS OF 2011 - Toyosi Craig



Old FUTA gate

Earlier in February, 2004. I attended an AONIAN games (high school olympics) in Owo. my school principal, Mr. F.O. Ogun had to drive us (Ebunoluwa Oluwaferanmi Lanre Shonoiki Bakenne Sulaiman Abiodun and Omotoyosi Craig II) down to meet other students who left earlier, we were going to represent our city (Abeokuta) in the academic part of the games.
When we got to Akure, my principal showed us FUTA, and asked who would like to attend the university, (we were about writing Matric. then)..none of us said Yes.. and to break the silence, I said, who would attend a school that the gate looked worse than that of our high school..?
 However, a year and a half later I was a student of that school, FUTA.. .. I was laughing at myself and said only one thing on entering the gate of the school.. "I WILL NOT LEAVE THIS GATE LIKE THIS ON GRADUATION"..
5 years passed and I was a member of our graduating set executives chaired by Toluwanimi Kolawole, I was to lead the fund raising and project committee..

The teams came up with several ideas, but the idea of building a befitting NORTH GATE for FUTA was adopted.

Design 4
The students from the Department of Architecture were asked to submit various designs, they did it enthusiastically and voluntarily, several amazing designs surfaced and some are attached. The Quantity Survey students were asked to do the cost engineering, and they did it submitting different quotations.

The challenge was how to raise money and I was able to work with like minds like Salako Isaac, Daramola Charles, Ibukun Oluwatobi AdeboluIgbinadolor Ikponmwosa Jude and we walked the streets of Akure in search of funds (NONE CAME). There was a day myself and Jude had to go to Warri to raise funds, thanks to Titilayo Femi Kings who linked us (story for another day).. I also had to travel to Abuja with the then FUTASU president Salami Ismail El'sama, where I met with former head of state General Gowon.. there were many huddles, ... none seemed to buy the idea.
                              
Design 3
We hit a major stumbling block when the then DVC in charge of development said, the Federal road would eat up the gate even if we built, then we had to ask the FRSC, Ministry of works and several others.. but as our graduation drew nearer and many of us busy with our final projects, we were able to work into the heart of Prof. Balogun and Fadmiro (VC and DVC), and they took our dreams upon their shoulders.. calls and many run around was made by them and they made it happen.. most of the little things we raised was used on our award night that was held in Akure.. and although I was far away in NYSC camp, in December 2011, the new FUTA GATE WAS COMMISSIONED.. God bless the then leadership of the school.. every dark cloud has its silver lining..
The most important thing is I saw my dream become a reality.. and in doing so .. I met more helpers of destinies, like my first employer and bosses of life Victordeen Ifezue and Ayodele Oke.
LESSONS: 1. Do not despise anything or anyone
2. Nothing is impossible
3. It does not matter who takes the credit, we should just work to see our dreams fulfilled
4. Sometimes, you have to let others act your dream for you while you direct it
5. Get busy and do not give excuse, your labour will surely pay back

#countdown #30amazingyearsofgrace

Design 2

Design 1
                           

 FUTA GATE , 2011








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kini ni n o fole se laye timo wa.. what would I do with money laundering? Yoruba poem from Alawiye

Philip Hayab– The Pride of Ham, the Pride of Nigeria